In honor of March 8th – International Women’s day, today’s post is of course dedicated to all the ladies.
Being a woman myself, I couldn’t help but mark the occasion by putting together a piece on some fun and perhaps not that well known facts about us – mixed with other stuff about us that is quite well known and pretty obvious to the whole world but still fun to read.
True to our blog’s (predominantly) linguistic nature, I’ll start off with an interesting fact about the difference between men and women when it comes to languages:
Languages: Two sections of the brain responsible for language have been found to be larger in women than in men, indicating one reason that women typically excel in language-based subjects and in language-associated thinking. Additionally, men typically only process language in their dominant hemisphere, whereas women process language in both hemispheres. This difference offers a bit of protection in case of a stroke. Women may be able to recover more fully from a stroke affecting the language areas in the brain while men may not have this same advantage.
And here’s a selection of some well-known fun facts about us ladies:
• If a man goes on a seven-day trip, he’ll pack five days worth of clothes and will wear some things twice; if a woman goes on a seven-day trip she’ll pack 21 outfits because she doesn’t know what she’ll feel like wearing each day.
• Women are never wrong. Apologizing is the man’s responsibility
• Women do NOT want an honest answer to the question, ‘Is that girl good looking?’
• Women never have anything to wear. Don’t question the racks of clothes in the closet; you “just don’t understand”. (Couldn’t agree more with this one!)
• Women hate to be ignored, especially by their significant others. Even if you are out with your friends or a group, you better be paying attention to your woman, or you may just pay for it when you get home. Also, if you start talking to someone you know and we have never met them, you better introduce us right away or you are going to have one angry woman at your hand.
• And one of my personal favourites comes from an episode of Friends, where Chandler asks Rachel and Ross for advice about tricky questions asked by women. Chandler explains how, after being asked “Do I look fat in this?” by Monica, he looked at her first – and this is where Ross interrupts with “Oh no. You NEVER look. You just automatically say NO.” 🙂
I’d also recommend 1000 Things You Don’t Know About Women – quite a fun read I stumbled upon today – although it might take you a while to go through each single one of that one thousand…
Happy International Women’s day!